Just had to share this with you. Just got a fundraising call from the Democratic Congressional fundraisers. When hit with the plea for the $$$, I said that I have no confidence in the Democratic leadership, and therefore would be focusing my resources on specific races, such as Lamont vs. Leiberman, etc. So she accuses me of wanting to help the Republicans. I said, no, Joe Lieberman and many other Dems are doing a fine job of helping the Republican party, and I don't want one cent of my money going to them. She wasn't quite prepared for this, and gave me the stock answer, something about 'that's why we need your help, etc, there's not much we can do, etc.' I was getting quite irritated. I said there were plenty of opportunities for filibustering, shutting down the Senate, and why aren't the Dems launcing their offensive NOW, when Bush is at 34%? Why aren't they on every talking head show using the L-word (liar) at every opportunity? I am more concerned with purging the Dems of corporatists and enablers than anything else, and pointed out that if the Dems actually stood for something, the money would be rolling in.The woman got more and more flustered and was finally, 'What it comes down to sir, is can we count on you to make a donation?', as if the entire conversation we just had never took place. Once again, I said no and hung up. What's wrong with this picture?
update: Ok... a few hours later, less hotheaded. I just want to make clear that I wasn't attacking the fundraising caller in any way. It's just that the stock answers they give don't hold water for me. I personally feel that I can do much more good by giving to candidates I actually support, instead of just throwing money at the Democrats. The Cuellar/Rodriguez TX primary is wrapping up, and it's looking pretty good for Rodriguez at this time. He had a lot of grassroots support, and if he ends up knocking out Dem-In-Name-Only Cuellar ('the Bush Kisser'), we'll know we're onto something here, and it is going to send a clear message to certain Democrats who've forgoten what it means to be a Democrat.
update#2: Webb county, Cuellar's home, results have put him over the top. Apparently there are possible electronic voting machine issues. So there. One of the things I'm trying not to do on this blog is the minute-by-minute political commentary stuff, because there are plenty others such as Daily Kos that do it much better...
click here for the new...
FIVE BEFORE CHAOS HAS OFFICIALLY MOVED TO A BIGGER AND BETTER PLACE! PLEASE CLICK THE ABOVE BANNER TO GET THERE, AND DON'T FORGET TO BOOKMARK THE NEW LOCATION. THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!
FIVE BEFORE CHAOS HAS OFFICIALLY MOVED TO A BIGGER AND BETTER PLACE! PLEASE CLICK THE ABOVE BANNER TO GET THERE, AND DON'T FORGET TO BOOKMARK THE NEW LOCATION. THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!Tuesday, March 7, 2006
More proof the Dems don't have a clue...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









16 comments:
I read on DFA blog that a monthly DFA contributor recieved a letter that she would now get special treatment since she donated. What about the poor? Is this what democracy looks like at DFA ? $$$ The Dems problems are widespread, from the good ole boys to the so called progressives.
To comment on what anonymous said...
Right now, our great little state of Vermont is arguing to defend its campaign finance laws in front of the U.S. Supreme Court. One of the things that's enabled the big money in politics is the Buckley vs. Vallejo decison which said that money = speech, and to limit campaign contributions would be infirging on the right to freedom of speech. Another way of looking at is is about the 'equal access' part of the Constitution, which basically frames the argument that if money = speech, and you have more money than me, you apparently get to talk louder than I do. And there's no qusetion it buys access. Proving that in court may be a bit arder than that, though.
Makes me wonder if the person on the phone even knows what the DLC is...
One thing is for sure, the DLC has nothing to do with the DNC, which is chaired by Howard Dean.
He has been traveling the country over the past year building an infrastructure so we can compete in all 50 states.
If you want to get rid of Republicans as well as DINOs like Lieberman, the DNC is the place to donate your money!
www.dnc.org
Kevin Schmidt, Sterling VA
Lieberman has got to be beat and I will give all the money I can to get him gone !!
It's election year and the Dems are back to their old tricks playing the tactical, parliamentary politics of demography and back-room stratgey while Bush and Cheney plot WW3 and dictatorship.
There needs to be a massive onslaught of public opinion to force the Dems to stop this nonsense, and take down this administration while there is still time...
Giving your dollars to specific candidates will work a lot better than giving to the party as a whole. They have also heard that from me, on their fundraising calls.
I get Republican fundraising calls. Recently got one for Lynn Swann and when I asked what his experience he had the caller told me he had as much experience at Arnold Schwarzenegger. I then asked the caller if Swann intended to put Pennsylvania in the dumper the same way Arnold has, and further, if he intended to take the entire Pennsylvania Republican Party with him on the road to ruin.
Al I got was silence.
My Dad told the DNC essentially the same thing - "Call me back when you grow a spine." Then he hung up.
AlthoughI haven't been contacted by phone, yet, I have received many mailings from the Dems asking for money... My g/f told me to send my money to BUZZFLASH.com instead! What a marvelous idea!
And the rest I'm giving to candidate John Pavich (D) for Congress (IL-11)
And Ralph Nader said Gore was no better than Bush! I wish I could do to him what Cheney did to his hunting buddy down in the boondocks! Maybe we DO need a third party but it sure as hell isn't Nader.
We DO need a third party, but I'm not holding my breath. So many things would have to be in place: major media reform, change in the debate fules, change in campaign finance, etc. I don't think it's a viable option. Purging the Democratic party of corporatists IS a real possibility.
I'd like to thank you all again for coming here. Remember, if your Democrat's seat is safe and you're happy with him or her, please consider helping out a progressive Democrat in another state, whether in the general election or in a primary against a Republican-enabling Democrat, such as Ned Lamont, who's running against the Bush-kissing Joe Lieberman in CT.
http://www.nedlamont.com
will be time to rejoice if Ned could pick off ass kisser Liebberman.He is more damaging than repugs.they use him like a whore to push thier corrupt agenda.
Don't apologize, I tell them worse.
If only they were as aggressive in dealing with the GOP.
You're doing the right thing in supporting individual candidates.
The Democrats are substituting their handpicked milquetoasts for real progressives and wasting our money on $10,000,000 data banks when the States don't even have accurate membership lists.
We've given the Democrats 3 elections and more than 5 years to get their act together.
It's time to begin forming a third coalition party: The Greens, progressives, environmentalists, action and issue groups, peace and justice, labor, unhappy GOPs. We can be the "One Party".
We are the One Party that can take our country back.
I got the same call a few months ago. Gave almost the same response. Felt cheapened, angry, and used by the end of it.
If nothing else, it gave me fuel to throw crapbombs at the various Superstar Dems when the Alito fiasco was unfolding.
That, too, went nowhere. Let's not split hairs here -- sending words of wisdom to Schumer, et al., went as far as my telling some woman in (I'll guess) Omaha that I want to see some DNC fists making GOP teeth fly across the barroom, and damned soon.
"Can we call you back, sir?"
Whatever, lady. What-freakin'-ever.
This all prompted me to dig up something I recently sent the DNC:
Is there anybody there to actually READ this?
If so, would you please forward a copy to Governor Dean for me? It goes like this:
Governor Dean (and other members of the Board at the DNC) -- I'm not buying the message anymore. I see a schism occurring within the party -- the reluctant Democrats who wearily, begrudgingly tromp their way through their (ho-hum) "Progressive" day, versus those of us out here who desperately need real, serious change; who want a promise made to be the same promise kept; who want SOMEbody in the Congress or Senate to do the simplest thing in the world: STAND UP TO THE GOP GANGSTERS. They are cowards, albeit dangerous ones. Even so, we have the numbers with which to shove them back underneath the rock from which they came.
But no. The Democratic Party officeholders won't do it. Hell, sir, they won't even ask our help, except when it's either too damned late, or they need some money. One simple act, done repeatedly, or with small variations -- STANDING UP TO THE WRONGDOERS IN THE WHITE HOUSE, SENATE AND CONGRESS -- would be like the monetary equivalent of a golden meteor just landed in your office. BEST OF ALL, IT WOULDN'T COST THE DNC A DIME.
Think of it: Somebody on the left of the aisle stands up, says or does something without having to do so because of half a million phone calls, faxes, or e-mails; something that electrifies your DNC base and stuns the Right, and BAM! Get out of the way, here comes the Brinks truck, where ya want the money, Governor? Complete with pledges of more money, physical support and media time.
But no. Your guys have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the game, whereupon they just stand there, pissed off, scuffing the ground, occasionally looking at the other team and mumbling stuff like, "I don't think it's such a good idea to play these guys -- they look like they'll win."
Goodbye, sir. You don't lose as much of a cash cow with my departure as you lose a passionate, 46-year-old white male (my kind is well-represented on the "other side," right?) who would do anything for you and the Party (I voted for your nomination and approval as Head), but am now so utterly disgusted at the torpor, the laissez-faire, the we-can't-win-oh my-God-where's-JFK-now-that-we-need-him loser mindset that I see routinely on the Senate floor, and during the Alito fiasco.
Goodbye. Let me know when (not 'if') something good happens.
-- Bruce ----------
Bloomingdale, NY
Post a Comment