click here for the new...
FIVE BEFORE CHAOS HAS OFFICIALLY MOVED TO A BIGGER AND BETTER PLACE! PLEASE CLICK THE ABOVE BANNER TO GET THERE, AND DON'T FORGET TO BOOKMARK THE NEW LOCATION. THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Weekend...

Gonna enjoy my weekend here, as the snow melts and every other word out of Jenni's mouth is 'garden'. Been a great week for the blog with the Buzzflash hit. If even a few of you come back here a few times a week, it has more than served its purpose; thank you. If you page down, you'll notice I've added some links for you RSS readers, to add this to your daily read.

Like to get back into a few light topics next week, I'm kind of getting political burnout here due to local politics issues in my crazy little town; I don't know who's worse sometimes, the right-wingers or the Marxists. I'm also going to be part of the strategic planning of a progressive Democrat's state senate race, so that should be exciting. I'll keep you posted on how that goes.

So to end our week of 'what's up with the Democrats', I leave you some reading. The first by one of the better things to come out of Texas, Molly Ivins, echoing many of the sentiments you and I have expressed this week. It's called 'Enough of the D.C. Dems'.

Our second piece is an op-ed on Yahoo from Richard Reeves. It has some great, blistering attacks on the administration... from other conservatives (who apparently find it easier to attack Bush than the Dems... wutzup wit dat?). It also goes into how the fear card is all that's left to play. It's called 'What Democrats Fear is Fear Itself'. Enjoy.

Next week, I'm hoping to get back into a bit on the lighter side, perhaps some more music or a film commentary. I'd also like to talk about the Hugo Chavez deal, and weed through some of the distortions coming from both sides and try to shed a bit of light on what his deal is.

Have a good weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I posted the following on an earlier page, but not sure who's going to look there, so allow me to do so again, here. I too got a phone solicitation recently. (By the way, thanks for allowing a pleasant, open forum!) --

TO THE DNC: Is there anybody there to actually READ this?

If so, would you please forward a copy to Governor Dean for me? It goes like this:

Governor Dean (and other members of the Board at the DNC) -- I'm not buying the message anymore. I see a schism occurring within the party -- the reluctant Democrats who wearily, begrudgingly tromp their way through their (ho-hum) "Progressive" day, versus those of us out here who desperately need real, serious change; who want a promise made to be the same promise kept; who want SOMEbody in the Congress or Senate to do the simplest thing in the world: STAND UP TO THE GOP GANGSTERS. They are cowards, albeit dangerous ones. Even so, we have the numbers with which to shove them back underneath the rock from which they came.

But no. The Democratic Party officeholders won't do it. Hell, sir, they won't even ask our help, except when it's either too damned late, or they need some money. One simple act, done repeatedly, or with small variations -- STANDING UP TO THE WRONGDOERS IN THE WHITE HOUSE, SENATE AND CONGRESS -- would be like the monetary equivalent of a golden meteor just landed in your office. BEST OF ALL, IT WOULDN'T COST THE DNC A DIME.

Think of it: Somebody on the left of the aisle stands up, says or does something without having to do so because of half a million phone calls, faxes, or e-mails; something that electrifies your DNC base and stuns the Right, and BAM! Get out of the way, here comes the Brinks truck, where ya want the money, Governor? Complete with pledges of more money, physical support and media time.

But no. Your guys have to be dragged kicking and screaming to the game, whereupon they just stand there, pissed off, scuffing the ground, occasionally looking at the other team and mumbling stuff like, "I don't think it's such a good idea to play these guys -- they look like they'll win."

Goodbye, sir. You don't lose as much of a cash cow with my departure as you lose a passionate, 46-year-old white male (my kind is well-represented on the "other side," right?) who would do anything for you and the Party (I voted for your nomination and approval as Head), but am now so utterly disgusted at the torpor, the laissez-faire, the we-can't-win-oh my-God-where's-JFK-now-that-we-need-him loser mindset that I see routinely on the Senate floor, and during the Alito fiasco.

Goodbye. Let me know when (not 'if') something good happens.

-- Bruce -----
Bloomingdale, NY

J.D. Ryan said...

Right on, Bruce. I think that by hearing more anger, coupled with a very obvious and concerted effort to support (financially and otherwise) specific progressive Democrats, even if it means a primary battle, could go a long way to turning things around.