Ok, gonna get away from politics and the usual here. I've always been fascinated with abandoned areas, part of that morbid curiousity thing. I usually can't resist the dangers of checking out an abandoned farmhouse or such. There's just something about the 'time' thing, when you go in and see a calendar on the wall from 1962, or an old toaster or can of beans. Still can't wait to do the 'old abandoned mental hospital' thing someday. I'm not a believer in ghosts, but when a certain place provides the right mental landscape, the mind provides the ghosts and makes the whole experience pretty intense. Throw in the risk of arrest from tresspassing and injury from having a ceiling fall in on you and it's quite the thrill.
So, for your perusal, I give you Centralia, Pennsylvania, a town that, although all of the buildings have been condemned, still has 11 residents. See, the deal is it was one of your typical PA coalmining towns, but in 1962, a fire started in the mineshaft that is still burning to this day, more or less making the town uninhabitable. Nasty coal smoke seems to be everywhere, leaking up out of the ground.
While digging around, I was surprised to find something on "Hermit's Grave" , in Irvington, New York. One of my earliest and best childhood memories was when my grandmother would take me for hikes in the woods to search for this grave. We never found it, though.
There seems to be quite a community of people on the net into the abandoned places thing. Here's a few links to get you started.
http://www.graveaddiction.com/abindex.html
http://community.livejournal.com/abandonedplaces/
http://www.forgottenoh.com/Haunts/abhaunted.html
http://www.deathrock.net/ariadne/ruins.html (this one's really good)
click here for the new...
FIVE BEFORE CHAOS HAS OFFICIALLY MOVED TO A BIGGER AND BETTER PLACE! PLEASE CLICK THE ABOVE BANNER TO GET THERE, AND DON'T FORGET TO BOOKMARK THE NEW LOCATION. THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!
FIVE BEFORE CHAOS HAS OFFICIALLY MOVED TO A BIGGER AND BETTER PLACE! PLEASE CLICK THE ABOVE BANNER TO GET THERE, AND DON'T FORGET TO BOOKMARK THE NEW LOCATION. THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!Monday, August 21, 2006
Ghost town
at
10:26 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









2 comments:
Hey J.D.
I was just reading your blog and I noticed that you linked to Snarky Boy...
You might not know the full story...
Snarky Boy went way past the point of wiseass stuff to downright creepy on GMD and elsewhere... Deeply hostile and bordering on threatening...
But, much of the most offensive stuff has been deleted or hidden.
Now, it's likely that he/she thinks it's funny. And I'm all for non PC humor, but this stuff was deeply personal and weird, I think...
Just thought you should know.
Thanks for the heads up... No problems here so far.
Post a Comment