I've added 'Two Know It Alls' to the blogroll, by Jonathan and Rebecca from NJ. They partook in my little debate with Charity a few weeks ago and frankly, shot big holes in all of her arguments with more accuracy than Bronson's Harmonica Man in 'Once Upon a Time in the West'. They're libertarians with an (ecchhh) objectivist bent so some of their political stuff is a bit hard to swallow, but they're really intelligent people who are very articulate, especially in matters of atheism. Have a read of 'Worship' - Really? to get a good taste.
click here for the new...
FIVE BEFORE CHAOS HAS OFFICIALLY MOVED TO A BIGGER AND BETTER PLACE! PLEASE CLICK THE ABOVE BANNER TO GET THERE, AND DON'T FORGET TO BOOKMARK THE NEW LOCATION. THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!
FIVE BEFORE CHAOS HAS OFFICIALLY MOVED TO A BIGGER AND BETTER PLACE! PLEASE CLICK THE ABOVE BANNER TO GET THERE, AND DON'T FORGET TO BOOKMARK THE NEW LOCATION. THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!Tuesday, January 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









6 comments:
Interesting take on the debate (which is still in progress). I came away from it with my views significantly strengthened. In the beginning, they had me really thinking about things. Then it reached the point where I started to see serious limitations to their line of reasoning, though.
Plus, I think your view is biased. ;)
Of course, seeing as we all have big problems with one another, the fun part will be trying to skillfully manipulate each other into temporary alliances to gang up on the victim of the day :-) .
Charity shares some (some) political sentiments with us, but the theological debate couldn't progress beyond a certain point because of our differences on what it means to "know" something (and if you want a dry topic, try arguing that sometime :-/ ). (Note to Charity: the "limitations" to our line of reasoning are only the limits that the world imposes). But while J.D. and we are likely in broad agreement on that topic, we've come to some radically different ethical and political conclusions. Here's hoping at the very least you can eventually say you know a couple of objectivists who don't totally turn your stomach :-) (Would it be tacky to say here that _most_ of my best friends are either liberals and/or Christians :-D ?)
Thanks for the link, I'm still trying to get something up to you with regard to your post on the Wal fretless.
Jeez, we're all turning into some big happy family here! Charity, what I meant was overall, throughout the whole debate, it didn't seem like you were able to present any evidence that wasn't something that wasn't completely subjective and that didn't have some other explanation as well. To be snarky, it think you got your clock cleaned pretty well. But I still love ya'. Did you see we both were mentioned on 802 online yesterday?
Jonathan... yes, politically we're in a different boat (although if you read enough of me you'll find that I'm hardly a typical hypersensitive card-carrying Marxist, but I would definitely be known as a 'collectivist'). It's all good. I'm curious as to what you're going to write about a Wal fretless... do you have one?
I'm sure our little alliances here should make an interesting soap opera. I'll have to read up on Rand, it's been a while.
"Did you see we both were mentioned on 802 online yesterday?"
I didn't notice until I got an e-mail from Bill Simmon. I am way behind on blog reading.
You know, in all fairness to me, Rebecca said she has been debating atheism for 15 years. I have only been a Christian for less than 2. Come on, now.
Nah, J.D., I don't play. I wish I did. I was a big Rush fan during Geddy's Wal years (fretted), which gave me an appreciation for the range and possibilities of the instrument. I'm a Chris Squire fan too, and I love blowing people's minds with the self-titled Jaco Pastorius solo album -- what I wouldn't do to re-experience listening to that for the first time. Somehow, I plan on working all this bass appreciation into a post, but gimme some time, I'm exhausted! (Jeff Ament is another Wal man too, right? I really dug the Mick Karn link!)
Yeah, Ament is a Wal player. So was Percy Jones from Brand X (Phil Collins' old uber-fusion band). Anf of course, Paul McCartney (in fact his Wal is the exact same model and year as mine). I'll have to do a post on my Wal, it is truly the best bass I have ever played. It plays well and I can get just about any sound out of it that I want.
I'm a big Jaco fan, as well. It makes me sad sometimes to listen to his first album because it was before his bipolar disorder and the resulting problems had started. I can only think of what might have been had he gotten help instead of turning to the booze and drugs, the effects of which only amplified the bipolar behavior.
Post a Comment