click here for the new...
FIVE BEFORE CHAOS HAS OFFICIALLY MOVED TO A BIGGER AND BETTER PLACE! PLEASE CLICK THE ABOVE BANNER TO GET THERE, AND DON'T FORGET TO BOOKMARK THE NEW LOCATION. THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Single Payer Healthcare

Good, straightforward article by Stephen Fleischmann on Smirking Chimp today, 'Who's Afraid of Single Payer?' :

Who’s afraid of the single payer health plan, otherwise known as National Health Insurance? Big Pharma and the medical establishment, that’s who—because “single payer” is the big bad wolf that’s huffing and puffing and is about to blow their house down. And it’s a big house, bloated by excess profits, government subsidies and sheer theft of the people’s money.

Now, I understand the philosophical conservative viewpoint against single-payer healthcare. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. This article isn't so much about philosophy, it's about practicality. As I think of our nation, I see certain things that are detrimental to society that are kept in place because it protects an industry. Healthcare is one of those things. When are the tables going to turn? When is someone going to ask what is more important in the grand scheme of things, protection of an industry or the health of a nation?

No comments: