click here for the new...
FIVE BEFORE CHAOS HAS OFFICIALLY MOVED TO A BIGGER AND BETTER PLACE! PLEASE CLICK THE ABOVE BANNER TO GET THERE, AND DON'T FORGET TO BOOKMARK THE NEW LOCATION. THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Bob Altemeyer's-The Authoritarians

Right now I'm writing a paper in one of my classes on 'The Authoritarian Personality'. You know of them quite well - easily submit to authority, fearful and suspicious of the 'other', etc. Many conservatives most defnitely fall into this category. The study of the authoritarian personality first broke ground with 'The Authoritarian Personality', a Berkeley study by Adorno, Frenkel-Brunswick, Levinson and Sanford, in 1950, while the dark shadow of fascism and the Holocaust was still fresh on peoples' minds. It's a pretty dated book if you read it today, but there's a lot of truth to be found in it.

Fast forward to the mid-90's. University of Manitoba's Bob Altemeyer writes 'The Authoritarian Specter', a more modern and exhaustive statistical analysis, with the concept of the 'Right Wing Authoritarian' scale (RWA) introduced, a gauge of how strongly one fits into that concept. John Dean referred to it often in his recent 'Conservatives Without Conscience' book in reference to the Bush administration and its sheeplike supporters.

Anyways, Bob Altemeyer has recently released a great, free e-book called 'The Authoritarians' that you can download and read, which distills the major themes into a more brief, concise volume. It's a great read, and I encourage you to download it here, and get a better perspective into the minds of what we're up against. Take the RWA test yourself, and see how you score.

3 comments:

Alex said...

Hey!
I'm not a student anymore, so...do I have to read the whole book just to take the test, or will you tell me where it is?

J.D. Ryan said...

The RWA test is in Chapter 1, but I gotta tell you, read the book. It' snot that long. It describes most cons we know to a 'T', especially the religious types.

I'm going to highlight some of the material this week, I'm just taking a long-overdue break from blogging this weekend.

Alex said...

I'll try to give it a try. Right now, I'm still plowing through an old U.S. History text by vintage New Deal Liberal, H.S. Commanger. Great read- and the parts on Big Money in the Gilded Age and the Roaring Twenties are eerily familiar- I've also started on Kevin Phillips' American Theocracy- about the unholy combination of Big Oil, Radical Religion and American Debt. Wow. If you think Liberals are outraged, you ain't heard nothing 'til you've read an old conservative like Phillips sounding off.

I read some of the intro of this book, though, and it looks like it might be worth a read.