My apologies to those of you regulars (there are actually a few of you now) for the lack of postings lately. Every now and then I get a week where the insomnia hits me and takes its toll, usually during a time when there is zero stress in my life, oddly enough. So I get cranky and lazy, so I deblogged for a while. This week I plan on looking a bit more at Altemeyer's "The Authoritarians", as well as put up a good movie review. And Wednesday, of course, I will make another seemingly futile attempt to stump Bill Simmon with "Name that Movie".
Anyways, here's a nice linkdump for you to chew on. It's nice outside. Why are you sitting here reading this?
As the Speedy Conzales attorney puge continues to gather steam, a few points to remember from Josh at TPM. First:
This isn't about the AG's lies. It's not about the attempted cover-up. It's not about executive privilege and investigative process mumbojumbo.
This is about using US Attorneys to damage Democrats and protect Republicans, using the Department of Justice as a partisan cudgel in the war for national political dominance. All the secrecy and lies, the blundering and covering-up stems from this one central fact.
And even if a crime were not committed (highly unlikely, at the very least there's lying to Congress and obstruction of justice), for our Repub readers out there: if this is indeed true, does it not change the fact that it's wrong? Or is it only wrong if a Democrat does it?
Also Josh points out why this is not the same as the firing that happens at the start of a new presidential term. This was done under the guise of some of the worst legislation of the modern era, the PATRIOT act. Like most things, it's easy to draw a hasty generalization; this is a complex situation, and the deeper one goes, the worse it looks. And like I said, legality aside, if it's wrong, it needs to be looked into.
Carpetbagger Report on how the conservative blogosphere is increasingly showing signs of dumping Gonzales.Dr. Gerry Lower over at Smirking Chimp asks 'What "Given" Right to Dominion?':
It does beg the question as to how Americans can feel that they have some "given" right to dominate world politics and economics. They cannot do so in the name of American "democracy" - because human rights and the values of democracy are entirely ignored by the Bush administration, by corporate capitalism and by the religious right wing. That explains how the U.S. can be decades behind the rest of the world's democracies in honoring human rights.Don't you love it when Christifascists get what's coming to them? Oregon teacher fired for 'teaching critical thinking'. Thankfully the school board used its critical thinking skills and saw right through what he was trying to do.
'Alien & Sedition' is becoming one of my daily reads. The authors tend to offer a lot of in-depth analysis of many aspects of the conservative movement, not just soundbites. Check out the latest, The Ghost in the Conservative Machine.
Finally, Bob Geiger's Saturday Cartoon Roundup. Enjoy.










4 comments:
What do you mean "Is it only wrong if a Democrat does it?" Please tell me what negative consequences were handed down to a Democrat president - Clinton - who fired all 93 of his U.S. Attorneys?
So I guess Bush's mistake was only firing 8 instead of all of them.
"...That explains how the U.S. can be decades behind the rest of the world's democracies in honoring human rights."
Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of people who immigrate here - legally and illegally - every year. Yes, I bet Bush's Gestapo is busting through Dr. Lower's door as we speak. Meanwhile, people in oh-so-enlightened Europe are being arrested and tried for "speech crimes" when they speak out against Islamic terrorism, and some Europeans want to put global warming "deniers" on trial for merely daring to verbalize their skepticsm. OK, I'm done; you can put your tinfoil hat back on now.
Yeah, our country can do no wrong, we're the best, #1, yay! I'm not implying that what they're doing in Europe is right either. I just have a problem with this 'we're the best' tribalism you cons seem to be so fond of. The Italians think they're the best, too. At least they're not waging bogus wars and torturing people. And we have plenty of Americans who would love to put people like me on trial for 'treason' so there you go with your double standards again.
About the firings, I didn't say there were consequences to Clinton firing the attorneys, or was there when Bush I or Reagan did similar things. I was pointing out the double standard Republicans seem to have. In '00, Al Gore was a 'liar' (like 'he invented the internet', which he never claimed in the first place). every word he said was scrutinized, yet Bush got a free pass. That's what I'm talking about. EVerything the GOP did was steeped in partisanship and consolidating power, yet when Dems criticize them, they're 'playing politics'. Wahhh.
You still haven't answered the question... if Clinton methodically, after the fact, individually replaced certain attorneys due to their politcal proclivities as Gonzales apparently has, would you be ok with it as you are now? And Clinton cleaning hose at the beginning of his term is not the same thing, regardless of what you believe. I know how hard it is for you to deal with answers that might not be either/or.
I have no problem with the president cleaning house; Reagan did it when he took over, and Clinton did same. Now Bush does it, and those with BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome) jump on him for doing the very thing that other presidents have always done. The U.S. Attorneys are political appointees; yet you on the left act shocked, SHOCKED, that Bush might have dismissed them for political reasons. I don't like Bush very much either, but I continue to be mystified by this irrational hatred the left has for the man when I can think of so many other presidents who have done similarly stupid things and yet not much of a fuss is made.
By the way, Gore never said he "invented" the Internet. Your assertion that the right laughs at him for saying that is a straw man argument. Gore did say that he "took the initiative in creating the Internet", which is moronic enough.
As for your belief that Bush has been given a pass for the dumb things he says, what planet do you live on? Bush is famous for his stupid quotes and mangling of the English language. There is even a term for it: "Bushisms" Does the term "big time" mean anything to you? After Bush called Adam Clymer a "major league asshole", the news hounded him for the rest of the campaign.
Bush given a pass for the dumb things he says? That's priceless.
Post a Comment