Regular readers of FBC might not think of me as a touchy-feely compassionate type, and I can understand why. But perhaps there is a sensitive side to me that you're unaware of? Probably not.
Well, anyways, although this story is a few months old, when I read it I just couldn't help but think that if I were a network TV executive, how I would make sure that this story was made into a 'TV-movie-of-the-week', as it would be a refreshing change to the 'women in jeopardy' theme that has been the norm for the past 25 years. It really tugged at my fishing-line filament heartstring (yeah, I only have one).
The Telegraph is reporting the story of a young man named Nick Wallis, a Brit who is in a hospice, for he has Duchenne muscular dystrophy, which sadly, usually kills its victims before they reach their thirties. In a turn of events that would undoubtedly make those people at the Make-a-Wish foundation blush, Mr. Wallis has had his dying wish fulfilled: he didn't want to die a virgin:
A young disabled man who receives care for his life-limiting illness at a hospice run by a nun spoke yesterday of his decision to use a prostitute to experience sex before he dies...
Mr Wallis told staff at the Douglas House hospice in Oxford that he wanted to experience sexual intercourse. He explained that he had hoped to form an intimate and loving relationship with a woman, but his disability had acted as a barrier...
The hospice staff, after taking advice from a solicitor, the clergy and health care professionals, decided to help him." I found an advert from a sex worker in a magazine for the disabled," said Mr Wallis. "The initial contact was by email and then by phone." It was arranged for the prostitute to visit his home in Northampton. "My parents went out," he said."It was not emotionally fulfilling, but the lady was very pleasant and very understanding. I do not know whether I would do it again. I would much rather find a girlfriend, but I have to be realistic."
Now, although some of you probably don't believe me, I'm not making light of this young man's situation. I had the same concerns in my early teens (although admittedly without the spectre of a terminal illness hanging over my head). And there is another subtext in all of this, that being the huge difference in religious attitudes in Britain and the U.S. Can you imagine some religious hospice here doing something like that? The article says a nun, that's right, a nun helped make this happen. Seriously, my heart goes out to this man, and I do take joy in knowing that he was able to get a little happiness in his life.










No comments:
Post a Comment