I was a vegetarian for abut eight years, but not because I think there's anything wrong with eating meat. Quite the contrary, actually. I believe it's in the natural order of things, although I do think that modern Americans a disproportionately high amount of it. My vegetarianism was moreso rooted in my opposition to factory farming and all of the bad stuff that goes with it. After I moved to the small VT town I live in presently, and was presented with a plethora of choices of locally raised meat, I got back on the carnivore wagon. Yes, I'm still suffering the effects of eating too much locally produced sausage, but my personal health is a different issue than that of factory farming.
Anyways, today I read a story that once again, emphasizes the importance of local, small-scale agriculture. MSNBC is reporting that the FDA is proposing relaxing its food labelling standards to allow irradiated meat to be called 'pasteurized', which traditionally has meant the 'process of destroying dangerous bacteria from heat and rapid cooling'. Not nuclear radiation.
Now, health concerns aside, it illustrates a larger issue: the right for consumers to know what exactly went into the making of their food. Big agribusiness fights tooth and nail everytime any kind of law is proposed that will educate a consumer about the origins of their food, whethe it be what chemicals were used, whether it's genetically modified/irradiated, whatever. From what I understand, many foreign countries have food clearly marked in this way. The industry likes to use the argument that GMO's/irradiation/rBgh whatever have not been proven to be any more harmful than those foods not with them, and by labellings the foods as such would 'harm the industry'. Now regardless of whether or not these things may be harmful (and there is much evidence pointing that way in some cases), don't you think your right to know where your food is coming from is more important than 'whether it will harm the industry'?
Even if there is nothing different in irradiated beef, I still don't want to eat it, and should have that option. That's why it's really important for us to reconnect with our food supply, and get as close to its origin as possible. I realize that's not possible in New York City. And to the free-market fundamentalists who are always opposing even the most sensible regulations and argue that the market will follow where the consumers lead it, how can we lead it when we don't know what we're getting in the first place?
The FDA is taking public comment on this issue for 90 days. Even if you do eat local, remember that there are many who don't have that choice. Call the FDA at 1-888-463-6332 and let them know your views.
click here for the new...
FIVE BEFORE CHAOS HAS OFFICIALLY MOVED TO A BIGGER AND BETTER PLACE! PLEASE CLICK THE ABOVE BANNER TO GET THERE, AND DON'T FORGET TO BOOKMARK THE NEW LOCATION. THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!
FIVE BEFORE CHAOS HAS OFFICIALLY MOVED TO A BIGGER AND BETTER PLACE! PLEASE CLICK THE ABOVE BANNER TO GET THERE, AND DON'T FORGET TO BOOKMARK THE NEW LOCATION. THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!Wednesday, April 4, 2007
FDA: Pasteurization? Irradiation? Same thing...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









1 comment:
Thanks for the #. I tried reaching the website, but did NOT have any luck, even when I tried to hit the "proposals open to public comment" button.
Post a Comment