One of the more influential artists I've come across in the last few years is Manuel Gottsching, an electronic music pioneer from Germany, who has also recorded under the group monkiers Ash Ra Tempel and later Ashra. His mid-70's album 'Blackouts', an album of entrancing synthesizer and guitar loop contributions had a profound effect on my own musical sensibilities. His later work, 'E2-E4' is considered a groundbreaking album in the world of electronica. What I like about his stuff is that it is quite entrancing, and his use of the guitar adds a human element to an too-often emotionless genre of music.
Unfortunately, I can't find any film footage from the 70's Ashra years, arguably my favorite period. I did find a few clips from a recent festival, however, something with Manuel and a Japanese visual artist. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but perhaps it might further your curiosity about this important and underappreciated artist. You can find great sound clips from his 30+ year career and tons of other information at his official homepage, here.
Saint and Sinner:
Sunrain:
click here for the new...
FIVE BEFORE CHAOS HAS OFFICIALLY MOVED TO A BIGGER AND BETTER PLACE! PLEASE CLICK THE ABOVE BANNER TO GET THERE, AND DON'T FORGET TO BOOKMARK THE NEW LOCATION. THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!
FIVE BEFORE CHAOS HAS OFFICIALLY MOVED TO A BIGGER AND BETTER PLACE! PLEASE CLICK THE ABOVE BANNER TO GET THERE, AND DON'T FORGET TO BOOKMARK THE NEW LOCATION. THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!Tuesday, February 6, 2007
Manuel Gottsching/Ashra
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









2 comments:
I like "Sunrain". It's very "Music for 18 Musicians".
It's funny you mentioned that, because Jonathan over at 'TwoKnowitAlls' just turned me onto that album two days ago (he's in the blogroll, have a look)
Post a Comment