Good news from South Dakota.. another abortion ban has been shot down. Now I won't feel so bad spending my money on my roadtrip out there this summer.
I'm one of those ones who wouldn't complain one bit if Hillary's campaign came down crashing and burning before 2008. Looks hopeful, thanks to her arrogance and complete lack of principles. Americablog has more.
Mitt Romney's asinine comment last week about how 'we need a person of faith running this country' has brought out some interesting agnostic reflections from Atrios here, here, and here, and Norbizness here and here.
Joe Bageant is one of my favorite social commentators. He's finally moved to Belize, and has a compelling narrative about it.
Finally, Matt Hubbard over at the Chimp gives us the lowdown on FOX News' lame-ass attempt at a show featuring hip young conservatives. Yeah, 'hip' and 'conservative' in the same sentence. Shame on me. Wonder how long that one'll be on the air.
Happy Wednesday.
click here for the new...
FIVE BEFORE CHAOS HAS OFFICIALLY MOVED TO A BIGGER AND BETTER PLACE! PLEASE CLICK THE ABOVE BANNER TO GET THERE, AND DON'T FORGET TO BOOKMARK THE NEW LOCATION. THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!
FIVE BEFORE CHAOS HAS OFFICIALLY MOVED TO A BIGGER AND BETTER PLACE! PLEASE CLICK THE ABOVE BANNER TO GET THERE, AND DON'T FORGET TO BOOKMARK THE NEW LOCATION. THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Wednesday Linkdump
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









4 comments:
not that I'm a Mitt supporter or anything but I thought he handled that situation very well. If you put it in context he's a Mormon looking to capture the conservative vote at a conservative forum and a heckler basically calls his religion into question. Rather than attack the man or tout the Mormon faith he simply sticks to something everyone can get with... "Person of Faith" Politically it was a nimble move born from a potentiallly difficult situation
I see your point, but as an atheist, I find what he said insulting. And to find people of one irrational belief system trashing someone else's irrational belief system is funny, too.
In your vision of an SVR will there not be religious freedom? I'm sure you come in contact with people of faith everyday and don't judge them. It's the fanatics you have to worry about. Religious fanatics, anti-religion fanatics, sports fanatics, gun fanatics..anon anon.. Some are dangerous and some our simply irritating. I don't think religion is a real issue for this guy. Romney is not sitting around waiting for the rapture. It's not even to his advantage to bring up his religion. It makes him an outsider. If he won the office you can be sure he would not be making decisions based on what God told him. He's a business man first. A Mormon Bloomberg.
Sure, in SVR I would see religious freedom. Short of a bunch of religious whack jobs moving here to take advantage of the independence I don't see that as an issue. The secession movement, although it does have a lot of really intelligent people in support of it, does, nonetheless attract a certain whacko element as well.
I think what Romney is doing is the same thing as McCain and to a lesser extent, Guiliani are doing. They're pandering to the knuckle-dragging theocratic GOP base, which the conventional wisdom says they need in order get the nomination. It's funny because it's so transparent, but considering the religious right has no where to go, they;ll probably suspend reality like they have to do with just about everything else. It would be interesting to see what happened if all the major GOP contenders ignored them. Only choice they have after that would be Brownback, who doesn't have a chance in hell of winning with mainstream Republicans.
I don't know if Romney would make a big deal out of his religion, like Bush has, considering the evangelicals don't consider him one of them. That said, it really doesn't matter, because he's not going to get it anyway. And I seriously question the critical thinking skills of anyone who believes what Mormons do in the first place.
Post a Comment