click here for the new...
FIVE BEFORE CHAOS HAS OFFICIALLY MOVED TO A BIGGER AND BETTER PLACE! PLEASE CLICK THE ABOVE BANNER TO GET THERE, AND DON'T FORGET TO BOOKMARK THE NEW LOCATION. THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!

Monday, February 5, 2007

Well, then... Welch signs on to H.R. 508

Well, then... Peter Welch has signed on to the anti-Iraq war bill H.R. 508, which I've been talking about all week, here and here. From Welch's office (via Green Mountain Daily):

"What is clear is the financial impact of the President's failed policy in Iraq. The President requests an additional $245 billion in funding for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan for the fiscal year 2007 and 2008 budgets and projects $50 billion more to be spent in fiscal year 2009.

"Pressing needs are going unmet because of a failed Iraq policy. There will be no more blank checks for the war.

"To that end, I am working closely with my colleagues on tough legislation that demands an end to this war:

I am an original cosponsor of H.R. 508, sponsored by Representatives Lynn Woolsey and H.R. 746, sponsored by Rep. James McGovern, both call for the redeployment of all U.S. forces from Iraq within a six month period and the turnover of all U.S. bases to the Iraqis.

I have co-sponsored a resolution with Rep. John Murtha, H.J.Res. 18, calling for an immediate redeployment of our troops.
Finally, I have co-sponsored H.R. 353, legislation introduced by Rep. Markey to prohibit the President from spending funds to escalate the troop presence in Iraq without specific Congressional approval."

Now, there's a bit of a discrepancy here in that I couldn't find Welch on the original list of co-sponsors, but I'm reserving judgment until I get more details.

So, this is good, no? I'll be posting more on this as I get more info... Thanks to my fellow bloggers who spread the word about this last week. Who knows, maybe it had an impact, maybe not... and I did see the U.S. House of Representatives pop up on my sitemeter a few days ago, so someone down there is paying attention to this. Or at least curious. But, hey, if it ended up in 50 phone calls to his office, then it had its part.

Now, be sure to call Welch's office and thank him. And now that that's out of the way, have a look at Welch's global-warming proposal, the Carbon Neutral Initiative, something that has gotten lost in the shuffle this last week.

UPDATE: Although, in typical predictable fashion, some in the batshit-insane VT right-blogosphere are already trying to make hay over the discrepancy, it turns out the mistake was that Welch was the original co-sponsor of H.R. 746, not H.R. 508. So don't buy into the hype, these people are desperate at this point (considering Welch has only been there less than a month, maybe if they waited a little longer, they'd actually find something of substance).

2 comments:

Alex said...

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this since you started rattling the cage. While a large part of me still subscribes to the "you break it, you bought it" theory (meaning that this is what we Americans have done in Iraq) I am very, very glad that Welch seems to have taken this route. There doesn't seem to be ANYTHING else we can do to help by staying,
(esp. given our current executive branch) - considering that we are the ones who stupidly re-opened the old wound in the first place.

Thanks for your hard work.

--Alex.

J.D. Ryan said...

Eh, i didn't do anything special, but thank you for your kind words, neverthelesss. I think what we bloggers did last week (and, don't forget, you did too) was just made the overall voice a little bit louder. Who knows? The point is that he did the right thing.